Monday, January 24, 2011

His name is not Robert E Lee ...


I remember nothing about Mother expecting my younger brother and sister.  I was about 4 when Sandra was born and about 6 when Stanley was born.  It would seem that I'd remember at least part of it, but no.  

I do have a vague memory of Mother coming out of a door of the hospital.  We kids were in the car. There was a long flight of stairs that I could see when the door opened.  Mother came out (I can't even remember if she was in a wheelchair) and I remember looking over the seat to see the baby when she sat down in the car.  I don't remember seeing the baby.

What I do remember is that there was discussion about the name of the last baby if it was a boy.  

Harold's birthday is on the 23rd of January.  He is 6 years older than I am.  He wanted the baby to be named 'Robert E Lee'.  He was told that if the baby was a boy and was born on his birthday, he could name the baby 'Robert E Lee'.  I don't have a brother named Robert but I do have a younger brother named Stanley.  Stanley was born on the 24th of January.  

I grew up with 5 older brothers and sisters and 2 younger brothers and sisters.  Mother and Daddy had adopted a cousin (Mother's sister passed away) and she was an older sister too.  There were 9 of us young'uns that Mother and Daddy raised.  

It has always amazed me that I have no memories of Mother expecting a baby.  


Stanley is middle front
Harold is furtherest right

Left to right: Jimmy, Sandra, Jean, Stanley, Donald, me, Harold


No comments:

Post a Comment