Wednesday, January 26, 2011

She was NOT Aunt Annie ...

I first knew her as and called her Aunt Annie.  But that changed in one sentence.

She was Granddaddy's last wife.  (Yes, he outlived several wives.)  When I was a small child, Granddaddy and Aunt Annie lived in Ocala, a short distance from our house.  Uncle Eddie, Aunt Bertie, and their children lived in a house next to Granddaddy and Aunt Annie for a while.



My cousins called her Aunt Annie and I did too.  She loved us so, always smiling and glad to see us.  I don't have strong memories of her while I was very young.  I do remember her smile and my memory has vivid images of her bending over with her smile, talking to me, while they lived in Ocala.

One day Aunt Annie invited me to spend the night.  I'm sure she also invited Sylvia, my cousin who lived next door to her, at the same time.  Sylvia and I played together often when we were at Aunt Annie's.

I was so excited!  I was just a little thing and this was a HUGE event.  Imagine!  Spending the night with Aunt Annie! I quickly ran to ask Mother and Daddy if I could spend the night.

The response I received floored me.  I was told, "When you start calling her "Grandma", you can spend the night".  I well remember wondering where THAT came from.  I didn't remember ever hearing anyone call her Grandma or me being asked to do so.  (Of course, that doesn't mean that they didn't and that I wasn't asked to, I just don't remember it).  But from that day on I called 'Aunt Annie' "Grandma".

They later moved to a lake, not too far from Ocala.  I spent several nights there too, in a little cabin. Grandma would invite me and ask me to bring a friend, through middle school and into high school.  What wonderful hours were spent there, talking with Grandma and Granddaddy, and visiting with my friends.  Wow - without parents around, even!

Grandma loved horse races and spent many hours watching them on TV.  As a young child, I never saw what was interesting about horse races. They just ran in circles, around and around, and the horses pretty much all looked alike.  But to Grandma, it was her passion.  We'd sit and watch horse races with Grandma.

Of course I am filled with regrets for not spending more time with Grandma and especially for not asking about her and her life.  There are so many questions I'd like to ask her now about her childhood.  I guess this is common to all man, that when a loved one passes on, we wish we had spent more time with and talking with most of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment